15 July 2008

Mecano's Los Amantes, translated

I've been a fan of Mecano since my early teens. My first Mecano encounter was "Hijo de la Luna" which has since been reprised in English by Sarah Brightman.

One of my favourite Mecano songs is Los Amantes from their album "Descanso Dominical".

In this song, Ana Torroja interprets the dashing elan of an enamoured troubador who leaps from balcony to balcony and sings his love to who will listen.

Mecano's unique sound lends itself so well to Anime that I couldn't resist this little cartoon clip:



The beat has a whimsical quality to it which underlines the protagonist's flirty nature.
Yet the wonderful Ana puts so much emotion into this song (as always) and the result is a sound so elevating that while I listen, I end up visualising, not some fickle flirt, but an intense troubadour neither man nor woman and always full of soul and love. And in this love, there is both naivety and vanity.

In the lyrics, the protagonist's behavior is traditionally male-gendered, at least, according to Spanish culture. So what I love most about this airy, passionate song is the fact that it is a woman who sings it. I love the fact that as a result of Ana's interpretation, I can identify with a protagonist whose gender remains undefined. I think this is why Mecano is so reminiscent of transgendered Anime characters.

Mecano is known for controversial lyrics, recall "Mujer Contra Mujer", and maybe this brings us to another meaning. As I mentioned, there is an ambiguity in the song's protagonist which forces us to question our perceptions of what is 'normal' behavior for a lover according to their gender. The final two lines of the song make it ambiguous as to exactly what sort of lover is being described all along. Their true nature remains hidden even though they seem ostentatious in dress and style. Musically, the suspended final beat leaves the melody equally unresolved.
Technically, this ending seems to mirror the discomfort that people feel when norms are challenged.

Overall I think this song is perfect in its subtle expression of the 80s anti-homophobic movement. I love it.


Here are Mecano's lyrics with my translation in italics.


Los Amantes - by Mecano

Yo soy uno de esos amantes
Tan elegantes como los de antes
Que siempre llevan guantes.

I am one of those lovers
So elegant, like in those days of yonder
Who is always found wearing gloves


Entre semana voy deportivo
Pero el domingo me pongo muy fino
Con mi chaqué de lino.

During the week I am sporting
But on Sundays, I dress very finely
With my linen coat


Y voy buscando por los balcones
Bellas julietas para mis canciones
Y hacerles los honores.

And I go seeking by the balconies
Beautiful Juliets, for my songs
And I do them the honors.


Y siempre estoy
Rompiéndome la voz
Cantando coplas
Bajo tu ventana, amor
Sal ya que este trovador
Se está asando de calor.

And I am always,
Breaking my voice,
Singing couplets
Below your window, my love
Do you know that this troubadour
Has enflamed himself from the heat.



Soy educado caballero,
Bello, cortés y amable compañero,
Un codiciado soltero.

I am an educated horseman,
Handsome, courteous, an amiable companion,
A coveted bachelor.


Y como no tengo complejos
Me miro siempre en todos los espejos
Antes de echar los tejos.

And since I have no complexes,
I look at myself in all the mirrors
Before making my advances


Si alguna vez cometo errores
Para que no llores pido mil perdones
Con un millón de flores.

If I were to make mistakes,
So that you do not cry, I would ask a thousand pardons
With a million flowers.


Y siempre estoy
Rompiéndome la voz
Cantando coplas
Bajo tu ventana, amor
Sal ya que este trovador
Se está asando de calor.

And I am always,
Breaking my voice,
Singing couplets
Below your window, my love
Do you know that this troubadour
Has enflamed himself from the heat.


Yo soy uno de esos amantes
Yo soy uno de esos amantes

I am one of those lovers
I am one of those lovers

No comments: